1) Finding your perfect home
Search our link on rightmove the UK's number 1 property portal website to find the right home for you!
2) Register your interest
Contact Adams & Styles to arrange a viewing for a time & date which best suits you.
Evening & Saturday appointments are available upon request..
3) Viewing the property
A dedicated member of our lettings team will meet you at the property to give you a guided tour of your potential home. Our team will be able to provide with all the necessary information you require regarding both the property, location, transport & local amenities.
4) Making an offer
Once you have found the property that ticks all the boxes, your offer will then be presented to the landlord for review. To secure the property whilst referencing takes place a one week's refundable holding deposit will be requested. Pending successful referencing, the tenant's one week holding deposit can be allocated towards the first month's rent. The landlord has 15 days from the date that the holding deposit is paid to decide whether they will proceed with the prospective applicant, this is known as the 'deadline for agreement'. If the tenancy does not proceed and the tenant is not at fault the holding deposit will be repaid within 7 days from the deadline for agreement.
If your offer is accepted the relevant reference checks will be carried out. Adams & Styles use 3rd party reference agencies to process all checks which includes right to rent, affordability and credit history. Current employment and previous landlord references are also requested. A full tenancy check will be undertaken which will require you to complete the application online. The referencing process generally takes between 3-5 working days, however this is dependent on how quickly the prospective tenant completes the application form.
6) Deposit protection
Reference checks all being successful, a five week deposit is requested prior to signing the tenancy agreement. We are a member of the Deposit Protection Service (DPS) the UK's biggest provider of deposit protection. Your deposit will be securely held and protected with the DPS throughout the duration of your tenancy. Prescribed information will also be provided.
7) Inventory check-in
Adams & Styles will provide you with a full inventory report on the day of move in. This report documents the current condition and contents within the property: fixtures & fittings, furniture, windows, walls, ceilings, floors, woodwork and appliances. The purpose of an inventory is to protect both the landlord and tenant to avoid a dispute over the return of the deposit at the end of the tenancy.
8) Next steps
The last steps to completing your move in:
- Signing of the Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST)
- A copy of the valid gas (cp12) & energy performance (EPC) certificates are provided.
- A copy of the 'How to rent' and 'Right to rent' booklet will be provided.
- Inform utility companies & council tax of your moving in and provide meter readings. We are registered with Tenant Shop who offer a service providing competitive rates for our tenants on energy, broadband and TV packages: https://www.tenantshop.co.uk
- Tenant's will be shown how to operate appliances and where all meters are located in the property.
- Each tenant will receive a set of keys for their new home.
Don't forget Adams & Styles are on hand to help you with any concerns you may have during your stay!
Towards the end of your tenancy you may wish to renew or give us notice to vacate the property.
Option 1 - I want to stay
- Please contact the office a minimum of 8 weeks prior to your tenancy end date, to inform us that you wish to stay at the property.
- Providing the landlord is happy with this, your tenancy will either continue periodically or a new AST will be drawn.
Option 2- I want to leave
- You are required to give 8 week's notice prior to the end of your tenancy if you wish to leave.
- You are required to return the property at the end of the tenancy in the same condition it was handed over.
- All personal belongings and any waste or rubbish must be removed from the property.
- All sets of keys must be returned on the agreed termination date.
- Inform all utility companies of your moving out, providing final meter readings and ensuring all bills are paid up to the end of the tenancy.
- On the last day of the tenancy a check-out inventory report will be carried out at the cost of the landlord. As per the check in inventory the report will detail the condition of the property and all fixtures and fittings.
Your deposit will be returned in full less any costs for malicious damage or unpaid rent. This will be discussed by both parties before the Deposit Protection Service (DPS) is notified
Your deposit will be transferred directly from the DPS.